Thursday, December 2, 2010

First Impression of Laos

I can't quite put my finger on it but something here just seems a bit off. I don't know if I was just getting too comfortable in Thailand or if Luang Prabang is just a little too backpackery (it's a word I made up, if Sarah Palin can do it I can too). I also think my state of mind upon arrival has had a lot to do with how nonplussed I am about this place. I think if I would have made it off a bus or mini-van I wouldn't be so quick to compare it to a completely different country and a completely different set of experiences. I might be going through the same sort of thing I went through in Bangkok; I just need to give Luang Prabang a second chance and then move on. For the most part it seems like a much more laid back country than Thailand was. In this "booming metropolis" of Luang Prabang the pace still seems exponentially slower than Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

Of course to make myself feel better about the situation I bought a scarf (or three)! And then, oh happy day, Anna Kramer joined me after an entire day of travel from Hanoi to Vientiane to Luang Prabang. It was a joyous reunion. I can't express via blog how thrilled I am to have her here. It feels like I finally have someone to travel with who "gets it." Plus it's refreshing to talk with someone from home.

Three days later we decided to head to Vang Vieng and here we are using the slowest internet in the world. Soon I will be staying on a farm teaching local children English so I may not be updating this blog for a while. I promise to update it as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment