Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lantern Festival and the Sunday Walking Market

To my pleasant surprise, a few days after arriving in Chiang Mai, it was brought to my attention that there was a festival. We stumbled upon it while walking through the streets of Chaing Mai and although we couldn't understand what was happening exactly, we knew it was something exciting.

We had stumbled across the Lantern Festival.


Earlier in the day there was a ... I want to use the word parade but it was more of a celebration in the square. They didn't march down a street they simply danced or played music in front of the temple. 


Each group had a different outfit. 

I loved the long fingers of these outfits.


I couldn't help taking a picture of this little girl. Amidst all the celebration she seemed so put out. Like dressing up for this occasion was the last thing she wanted to do. 


And this poor little guy, too. What you don't see is his friend hitting him (playfully) with a mallet. 


The Sunday Market was littered with Lanterns.


The affect was gorgeous, but hazardous. Especially for the taller Pharang. 



Obviously I was excited about the lanterns. And then this guy had to ruin my sweet picture. Thanks random squatter for photo-bombing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment